The Aerospace and Defense category comprises industries and establishments primarily engaged in one or more of the following:
In general, the aerospace industry is engaged in the research, development, and manufacture of flight vehicles, ranging from unpowered gliders, sailplanes and lighter-than-air craft up though space vehicles. The term aerospace is derived from the words aeronautics and spaceflight.
- Development, manufacture, and distribution of civil and military aircraft, missiles, space vehicles, military equipment, and the auxiliary equipment, parts and supplies.
- Development, manufacture, and distribution of aerospace engines, propulsion units, and auxiliary equipment or parts.
- Development and production of aerospace and military product prototypes.
- Aircraft conversion (i.e., major modifications to systems).
- Complete aircraft or propulsion systems overhaul and rebuilding (i.e., periodic restoration of aircraft to original design specifications).
- Services that specifically support these industries (e.g., consulting, marketing, associations, etc.).